DistroKit Mailinglist
* [DistroKit] ethernet on SAMA5D2-SOM1-EK1
@ 2021-03-17 14:29 Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2021-03-17 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: distrokit

Hello,

for testing some new mikroBUS modules I got a dusty SAMA5D2-SOM1-EK1 from our
shelf and build recent DistroKit master for it. Nice thing: SD card works in
both ports. However ethernet does not work correctly out of the box. :-/

In barebox shell it uses a random mac address (the real one is in a small
eeprom on the SoM), dhcp and ping successful.

In Linux (5.11.4) however it also uses a random mac address and furthermore
either the micrel ethernet phy is not found at all or the link can not be set
to up. Tried both nmtui and raw iproute2 command.

Can someone confirm? Or is it some problem with our hardware?

Greets
Alex

* Re: [DistroKit] ethernet on SAMA5D2-SOM1-EK1
@ 2021-03-17 16:34 ` Jon Ringle
From: Jon Ringle @ 2021-03-17 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Dahl; +Cc: distrokit

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 10:30 AM Alexander Dahl <ada@thorsis.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> for testing some new mikroBUS modules I got a dusty SAMA5D2-SOM1-EK1 from
> our
> shelf and build recent DistroKit master for it. Nice thing: SD card works
> in
> both ports. However ethernet does not work correctly out of the box. :-/
>
> In barebox shell it uses a random mac address (the real one is in a small
> eeprom on the SoM), dhcp and ping successful.
>
> In Linux (5.11.4) however it also uses a random mac address and
> furthermore
> either the micrel ethernet phy is not found at all or the link can not be
> set
> to up. Tried both nmtui and raw iproute2 command.

Hey Alexander,

I don't know if this will apply to you with sama5d2-som1-ek1, but we have a
board that is based on sama5d2-som1 that has ksz8081rna phy, which based on
the strap on options configured via pull up/down is on phy 4.
We are in the process of updating from linux-4.14 to linux-5.4. A problem
that was noticed on update to linux-5.4 was that the Ethernet port stopped
working after power on boot, but would work after a subsequent soft reboot.
I noticed that the phy address used in
arch/arm/boot/dts/at91-sama5d27_som1.dtsi didn't match the one for our
board in either the linux-4.14 or linux-5.4 tree, but we never noticed a
problem when we did initial bring up of our board with linux-4.14 a couple
years ago. When I fixed the device tree to use the correct phy address 4
for our board. The problem went away and the Ethernet port now works
properly on linux-5.4.

-Jon

* Re: [DistroKit] ethernet on SAMA5D2-SOM1-EK1
@ 2021-03-19 13:17   ` Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2021-03-19 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Ringle; +Cc: distrokit

Hei hei,

> Jon Ringle <jon@ringle.org> hat am 17.03.2021 17:34 geschrieben:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 10:30 AM Alexander Dahl <ada@thorsis.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > for testing some new mikroBUS modules I got a dusty SAMA5D2-SOM1-EK1 from our
> > shelf and build recent DistroKit master for it. Nice thing: SD card works in
> > both ports. However ethernet does not work correctly out of the box. :-/
> >
> > In barebox shell it uses a random mac address (the real one is in a small
> > eeprom on the SoM), dhcp and ping successful.
> >
> > In Linux (5.11.4) however it also uses a random mac address and furthermore
> > either the micrel ethernet phy is not found at all or the link can not be set
> > to up. Tried both nmtui and raw iproute2 command.
>
> Hey Alexander,
>
> I don't know if this will apply to you with sama5d2-som1-ek1, but we have a board that is based on sama5d2-som1 that has ksz8081rna phy, which based on the strap on options configured via pull up/down is on phy 4.

We also have boards based on that SoC, but those use a different ethernet phy. No problems with kernel v5.4 and v5.10 series.

> We are in the process of updating from linux-4.14 to linux-5.4. A problem that was noticed on update to linux-5.4 was that the Ethernet port stopped working after power on boot, but would work after a subsequent soft reboot.
> I noticed that the phy address used in arch/arm/boot/dts/at91-sama5d27_som1.dtsi didn't match the one for our board in either the linux-4.14 or linux-5.4 tree, but we never noticed a problem when we did initial bring up of our board with linux-4.14 a couple years ago. When I fixed the device tree to use the correct phy address 4 for our board. The problem went away and the Ethernet port now works properly on linux-5.4.

Nice to know. Meanwhile I digged in my old projects and managed to get a modified DistroKit with at91bootstrap 3 and u-boot running, with kernel 4.19.x and everything works just fine, including ethernet. :-)

(The hardware itself is also modified, I can not just use mainline dts, but that's not the point.)

That means to me, there are still some open working spots for barebox and/or DistroKit to fully support that board.

@ 2021-03-22 18:56     ` Ahmad Fatoum
From: Ahmad Fatoum @ 2021-03-22 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Dahl, Jon Ringle; +Cc: distrokit, Oleksij Rempel

Hello,

On 19.03.21 14:17, Alexander Dahl wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 10:30 AM Alexander Dahl <ada@thorsis.com> wrote:
>>> In barebox shell it uses a random mac address (the real one is in a small
>>> eeprom on the SoM), dhcp and ping successful.

Didn't know about the EEPROM. Thanks for the info.
I mainly used it for the Giant board, the SOM1 was more of a byproduct.

>>> In Linux (5.11.4) however it also uses a random mac address and furthermore
>>> either the micrel ethernet phy is not found at all or the link can not be set
>>> to up. Tried both nmtui and raw iproute2 command.
>>
>> Hey Alexander,
>>
>> I don't know if this will apply to you with sama5d2-som1-ek1, but we have a board that is based on sama5d2-som1 that has ksz8081rna phy, which based on the strap on options configured via pull up/down is on phy 4.
>
> We also have boards based on that SoC, but those use a different ethernet phy. No problems with kernel v5.4 and v5.10 series.
>
>> We are in the process of updating from linux-4.14 to linux-5.4. A problem that was noticed on update to linux-5.4 was that the Ethernet port stopped working after power on boot, but would work after a subsequent soft reboot.
>> I noticed that the phy address used in arch/arm/boot/dts/at91-sama5d27_som1.dtsi didn't match the one for our board in either the linux-4.14 or linux-5.4 tree, but we never noticed a problem when we did initial bring up of our board with linux-4.14 a couple years ago. When I fixed the device tree to use the correct phy address 4 for our board. The problem went away and the Ethernet port now works properly on linux-5.4.
>
> Nice to know. Meanwhile I digged in my old projects and managed to get a modified DistroKit with at91bootstrap 3 and u-boot running, with kernel 4.19.x and everything works just fine, including ethernet. :-)
>
> (The hardware itself is also modified, I can not just use mainline dts, but that's not the point.)
>
> That means to me, there are still some open working spots for barebox and/or DistroKit to fully support that board.

I can confirm that barebox networking works, but that Linux fails either with:

[   44.790186] macb f8008000.ethernet eth0: no PHY found

or that no carrier is detected. Something is amiss indeed.

Cheers,
Ahmad