DistroKit Mailinglist
From: Alexander Dahl <ada@thorsis.com>
To: Jon Ringle <jon@ringle.org>
Cc: distrokit@pengutronix.de
Subject: Re: [DistroKit] ethernet on SAMA5D2-SOM1-EK1
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 14:17:57 +0100 (CET)	[thread overview]

Hei hei,

> Jon Ringle <jon@ringle.org> hat am 17.03.2021 17:34 geschrieben:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 10:30 AM Alexander Dahl <ada@thorsis.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > for testing some new mikroBUS modules I got a dusty SAMA5D2-SOM1-EK1 from our
> > shelf and build recent DistroKit master for it. Nice thing: SD card works in
> > both ports. However ethernet does not work correctly out of the box. :-/
> >
> > In barebox shell it uses a random mac address (the real one is in a small
> > eeprom on the SoM), dhcp and ping successful.
> >
> > In Linux (5.11.4) however it also uses a random mac address and furthermore
> > either the micrel ethernet phy is not found at all or the link can not be set
> > to up. Tried both nmtui and raw iproute2 command.
>
> Hey Alexander,
>
> I don't know if this will apply to you with sama5d2-som1-ek1, but we have a board that is based on sama5d2-som1 that has ksz8081rna phy, which based on the strap on options configured via pull up/down is on phy 4.

We also have boards based on that SoC, but those use a different ethernet phy. No problems with kernel v5.4 and v5.10 series.

> We are in the process of updating from linux-4.14 to linux-5.4. A problem that was noticed on update to linux-5.4 was that the Ethernet port stopped working after power on boot, but would work after a subsequent soft reboot.
> I noticed that the phy address used in arch/arm/boot/dts/at91-sama5d27_som1.dtsi didn't match the one for our board in either the linux-4.14 or linux-5.4 tree, but we never noticed a problem when we did initial bring up of our board with linux-4.14 a couple years ago. When I fixed the device tree to use the correct phy address 4 for our board. The problem went away and the Ethernet port now works properly on linux-5.4.

Nice to know. Meanwhile I digged in my old projects and managed to get a modified DistroKit with at91bootstrap 3 and u-boot running, with kernel 4.19.x and everything works just fine, including ethernet. :-)

(The hardware itself is also modified, I can not just use mainline dts, but that's not the point.)

That means to me, there are still some open working spots for barebox and/or DistroKit to fully support that board.

Greets
Alex