DistroKit Mailinglist
* [DistroKit] Multiple identical barebox source trees
@ 2019-11-19  9:33 Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2019-11-19  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: distrokit

Hei hei,

today I had a look at how the different barebox packages are built, after
loosely following the Git history on those. Main reason is I want to follow a
similar approach for U-Boot. Revision I'm looking at is recent master, aka
2018-02-espressobin-v3-183-ga4f6ef2.

There's a rather new package barebox-common and all barebox-* packages share
the same version and patch stack. Also: barebox-* packages are built out of
tree (OOT). So I somehow expected in platform-v7a/build-target there would be
one extracted source tree, all patches applied on top, and each barebox-*
package built oot from that one source tree. However that's not the case, I
have found the following folders all containing the same (clean) source tree:

barebox-am335x-2019.11.0
barebox-am335x-mlo-2019.11.0
barebox-common-2019.11.0
barebox-mx6-2019.11.0
barebox-rpi2-2019.11.0
barebox-vexpress-2019.11.0

Is it possible with ptxdist to also share the source tree? That could save
some time for unpacking and patching, right?

Greets
Alex

* Re: [DistroKit] Multiple identical barebox source trees
@ 2019-11-21 13:37 ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2019-11-21 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: distrokit

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 10:33:42AM +0100, Alexander Dahl wrote:
> today I had a look at how the different barebox packages are built, after
> loosely following the Git history on those. Main reason is I want to follow a
> similar approach for U-Boot. Revision I'm looking at is recent master, aka
> 2018-02-espressobin-v3-183-ga4f6ef2.
>
> There's a rather new package barebox-common and all barebox-* packages share
> the same version and patch stack. Also: barebox-* packages are built out of
> tree (OOT). So I somehow expected in platform-v7a/build-target there would be
> one extracted source tree, all patches applied on top, and each barebox-*
> package built oot from that one source tree. However that's not the case, I
> have found the following folders all containing the same (clean) source tree:
>
> barebox-am335x-2019.11.0
> barebox-am335x-mlo-2019.11.0
> barebox-common-2019.11.0
> barebox-mx6-2019.11.0
> barebox-rpi2-2019.11.0
> barebox-vexpress-2019.11.0
>
> Is it possible with ptxdist to also share the source tree? That could save
> some time for unpacking and patching, right?

It's not really possible in a sane way. The Problem is, how would 'clean'
for one of the barebox packages work? It's not really clean, when the
source is not deleted.

Michael

--

* Re: [DistroKit] Multiple identical barebox source trees
@ 2019-11-22  7:25   ` Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2019-11-22  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: distrokit

Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 21. November 2019, 14:37:03 CET schrieb Michael Olbrich:
> On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 10:33:42AM +0100, Alexander Dahl wrote:
> > Is it possible with ptxdist to also share the source tree? That could save
> > some time for unpacking and patching, right?
>
> It's not really possible in a sane way. The Problem is, how would 'clean'
> for one of the barebox packages work? It's not really clean, when the
> source is not deleted.

Why not delete the common source then? Clean of one package would clean the
common source folder, all depending packages would have to be rebuilt.